First let's see how to deploy Portainer on an existing Kubernetes Cluster.
- Once you login on Digital Ocean, on the left menu click on DISCOVER and then click on Marketplace:
- On the Search Bar type portainer and the Portainer Community Edition will come up that you can select to start the deployment:
- You will land on the Portainer Community Edition installation page. Next click on Install App button.
- A pop-up dialog box will come up where you can select the Kubernetes Cluster where you want to deploy Portainer and click on Install:
- Down towards the end of the Kubernetes Cluster page you can follow the progress of the installation of Portainer:
- Once the installation of Portainer CE is finished the next step is to install the Kubernetes Metrics Server again via the Marketplace:
- Just like the installation of Portainer you need to select a cluster. Please make sure you select the cluster where Portainer was installed:
- Now select Networking on the left side menu:
- Next Select Load Balancers and you will have an IP address that will be used to access the Portainer UI. You can copy the IP address by clinking on it.
- On a new browser tab or window type or paste the IP address, colon sign and port 9000 to access Portainer:
- The Portainer interface will load with the first step of the Portainer settings where the intial administrator user has to be created:
- Second step is to connect Portainer to the Kubernetes Cluster:
- The final last step of the Portainer settings are to select the options below and click on Save configuration:
- Allow users to use external load balancer;
- Enable features using metrics server;
Done! Portainer is now installed on your Kubernetes Cluster. You should now have access to the Endpoint of your cluster:
There is another even easier way to deploy Portainer via the Digital Ocean Marketplace. The steps are very similar to the ones above, the only difference is that you don't need to have a Kubernetes Cluster installed.
- You can start by repeating steps 1, 2 and 3 described on the First method above
- The next step is to select a New cluster:
- This will take you to the regular Digital Ocean Create cluster page. Please configure your cluster according to your requirements:
- You will notice that the new cluster is being deployed with Portainer CE pre-installed:
- Once the installation of the cluster is finished just follow the steps from #6 onwards described on the First method above.