Portainer and Canonical - a match made in the cloud
Make MicroK8s and Charmed Kubernetes accessible to everyone
Portainer is the key to making MicroK8s and Charmed Kubernetes accessible to everyone inside an organization. It’s the difference between having a Kube installation users may or may not be able to interact with (based on their familiarity with CLI) and having a powerful, GUI-based Containers-as-a-Service solution platform managers and developers can interact with easily, reliably and securely day in, day out.
Portainer brings MicroK8s and Charmed Kubernetes to life whether it’s deployed in the cloud, across a hybrid cloud, on-prem or at the edge. it provides:
- Simple GUI for end users to deploy applications into the environments
- Monitoring and Observability dashboard for container/application monitoring
- Ability to set up and manage Governance and Security policies to resources
- Integration via standard Kubernetes API to allow end users to ‘bring your own tools’
- Integration via standard Kubernetes API to support an existing Git based CI/CD workflow
- Set up fine grained Role Based Access Controls leveraging external authentication
Portainer and MicroK8s
What is MicroK8s?
A low touch Kubernetes for micro clouds, thin edge and IOT.
- All Kubernetes services and the most popular add-ons in a single package.
- Minimal ops for easy clustering, self healing HA and simpler upgrades.
- Lightweight K8s for resource-constrained environments.
- Secure by default, strict confinement, and long term support.
- Fixed price deployment.
- Compatible with Linux, Windows and macOS.
Getting Portainer up and running inside your MicroK8s cluster is super simple, because Portainer is already set up as an add-on. Simply type in ‘microk8s enable Portainer’ and you’re ready to go.
Watch this short Portainer with Canonical Demo
Portainer and Charmed Kubernetes
Charmed Kubernetes is Canonical’s pure upstream, composable Kubernetes distribution. It is powered by Juju and allows users to build Kubernetes clusters from the ground up and tailor them to their needs, by selecting the specific networking, storage, observability, and other cloud-native components they want to use. Charmed Kubernetes supports a multitude of cloud platforms from AWS, Azure, and GCE, to VMware, Openstack, LXD, and bare metal.
With Portainer Business managing Charmed Kubernetes, businesses have an easy way to design and manage their Kubernetes deployments at scale. Portainer Business can be deployed inside Charmed Kubernetes automatically with a charm. Visit Charmhub to find out how to get started.
Frequently asked questions
Answers to common questions we get about Kubernetes and Portainer.
Learn more about the partnership between Canonical and Portainer
Yes watch this webinar:
Containers-as-a-service: deploy faster with Canonical and Portainer
Latest Kubernetes News
Got a question that isn’t answered above? Get in touch!
Our team is here to answer your questions on how Portainer can accelerate your adoption of Kubernetes.