Building A Business Case For Portainer Business
by Tara Wrigley, on Oct 9, 2021 10:05:02 AM
Hundreds of thousands of users around the world use Portainer to help them manage their container platforms. With deployments in almost every country of the world, Portainer has become synonymous with the phrase “expert simplicity”. However, for enterprise organizations seeking a user-friendly means to manage their containerized applications, the limited set of governance features in the open-source version of Portainer often precludes them from using it which leads to a conversation about Portainer Business.
Portainer Business is our business-grade version of Portainer; it contains the governance features that Platform Managers need to set-up, configure and govern a self-service container portal experience securely. We're often asked by Platform Managers for help building a business case for Portainer Business, so we've put together the following list of value statements to help.
What is Portainer Business?
Portainer is a service delivery platform for containerized apps. Portainer enables Platform Managers to set-up, configure and govern a self-service container portal experience and get more value from containers and Kubernetes sooner, with the skills your team has today. Manage any orchestrator, in the cloud, on prem, or at the edge, in a single interface.
What are its unique points of value
1. Significantly shorter time-to-value, both for containerization
- Does not require professional services to set up
- Is accessible for relatively novice / non-expert engineers; does not require you to hire new staff or consultants
- Initial set-up takes a couple of clicks
- Does not require any organizational change
2. Build better quality digital assets / applications faster, using fewer resources (computing resources, financial resources, human resources)
- Baked-in best practices without sacrificing flexibility
- Accessible for non-expert engineers
- Very lightweight
- Environment agnostic: Choose the best environment for the workload, rather than forcing all workloads into an environment for technical reasons.
3. Makes multi-cloud, hybrid cloud and edge deployments more accessible by reducing management overhead and eliminating the need for high-end hardware
- Does not require high-end hardware for edge devices to run Kubernetes
- Provides a single management interface for cloud, edge and data center environments.
Pain points Portainer solves
- The learning curve for containers and Kubernetes is steep and engineers with specialized Kubernetes expertise are rare and expensive.
- Competitor platforms take a long time to set up and require all users to be skilled / near expert-level users of Kubernetes
- The container / Kubernetes adoption journey can require huge investment and the value often isn’t realized for months
What Success and Support services do Portainer Business clients have access to?
Success and Support Details
The Support Services include, where applicable:
- support for the number Nodes purchased, across all instances, during the Support Hours for up to 10 named support contacts;
- up to 1-hour of onboarding remote assistance across at least 2 sessions. During these sessions we will ensure that our Technical Consultants are fully briefed on your operations and you are able to ask any questions about configuring the software. These sessions must be completed within 30 days of initial purchase.Broadly the session plans will follow:
- Session 1 – Discovery:
- Understanding your operations, architecture and intended use of Portainer;
- Overview of Portainer Support Processes and Resources
- Session 2 – Configuration Catch up:
- confirming Portainer is running correctly;
- discuss any final adjustments or questions
- Session 1 – Discovery:
- a 30-minute, monthly remote consult, where you can ask your Portainer Success Consultant any questions in relation to your use of the Software; and
- unlimited tickets for Incidents. It's also important to note that we commit to fixing bugs for our Business clients on an ASAP basis, and we also prioritise Portainer Business clients feature requests.
Further suggested resources
- Why everyone as an admin is a bad idea?
- Kubernetes is complex; scare-mongering or reality?
- Portainer vs Rancher; a comparative guide
- Portainer vs Mirantis: A users point of view in 2021
- Migrating from Mirantis to Portainer Business; In the words of a happy customer
- Why transition to Portainer Business from Extensions