Building a Business Case for Portainer
Key points to include in your business case.
Hundreds of thousands of users around the world use Portainer to help them manage their container platforms. With deployments in almost every country of the world, Portainer has become synonymous with the phrase “expert simplicity”. However, for enterprise organizations seeking a user-friendly means to manage their containerized applications, the limited range features in the open-source version of Portainer often precludes them from using it which leads to a conversation about Portainer Business.
Portainer Business is our enterprise-grade version of Portainer; it contains the governance features that Platform Managers need to set-up, configure and govern a self-service container portal experience securely.
We're often asked by Platform Managers for help building a business case for Portainer Business, so we've put together a few points to help.
First up, what is Portainer Business?
Portainer is a service delivery platform for containerized apps. Portainer enables Platform Managers to set-up, configure and govern a self-service container portal experience and get more value from containers and Kubernetes sooner, with the skills your team has today. Manage any orchestrator, in the cloud, on prem, or at the edge, in a single interface.
Significantly shorter time-to-value, both for Portainer and for Kubernetes / Docker / containers
- Does not require professional services to set up
- Is accessible for relatively novice / non-expert engineers; does not require you to hire new staff or consultants
- Initial set-up takes a couple of clicks
- Does not require any organizational change
Build better quality digital assets / applications faster, using fewer resources
Including; computing resources, financial resources, human resources.
- Baked-in best practices without sacrificing flexibility
- Accessible for non-expert engineers
- Very lightweight
- Environment agnostic: Choose the best environment for the workload, rather than forcing all workloads into an environment for technical reasons.
Makes multi-cloud, hybrid cloud and edge deployments more accessible by reducing management overhead and eliminating the need for high-end hardware
- Does not require high-end hardware for edge devices to run Docker or Kubernetes
- Provides a single management interface for cloud, edge and data center environments.
- Very lightweight.
- Can be used both with just Docker containers and/or with Kubernetes.
Portainer Business is available with commercial support
Our Support Services include:
- Support for the number nodes purchased, across all instances, during the Support Hours;
- Onboarding assistance, where you can ask your Portainer Support Engineer any questions in relation to your implementation and use of the Software;
- Unlimited tickets for Incidents.
- Commitment to fixing bugs for our Business clients on an ASAP basis, and we also prioritise Portainer Business clients feature requests.
For more information see our Support Terms.
Portainer solves a number of pain points
- The learning curve for containers and Kubernetes is steep and engineers with specialized Kubernetes expertise are rare and expensive.
- Competitor platforms take a long time to set up and require all users to be skilled / near expert-level users of Docker and/or Kubernetes
- The container / Kubernetes adoption journey can require huge investment and the value often isn’t realized for months.
- Mirantis / Rancher have very large footprints.